Friday, June 26, 2009

Perplexed! Questions from an entry level candidate

I got this query from a reader, in context with a previous post written here.

“Starting as a fresher/entry level candidate my only objective is to land myself a job no matter which or what and that is only because I really have no idea about what to expect from a workplace or the work itself. I have sent out my resumes to few companies. I have a few questions:


1. My resume is pretty empty. I have mentioned my academic details and a few other activities that I was a part of in school and college. Is there anything else I can add to make it look better?
2. How important is it to mention my objective? I ask this reading the previous post.
3. How much weight are my scores given? I do not exactly have an impressive marks card.”

First, I suppose you shouldn't be thinking along the lines, “I’m ready for any job on the earth!” Really. Thinking that way will hurt your chances even more. You’re asking how? Going down that way will encourage you take up jobs that don’t complement your education or course in any useful way. Unless that’s what you want! Else, you might take up a job with the intention of looking out for a relevant one later. But more often than not, any job will require your 100% time & effort, which will only make it tougher for you to look for the right one. The trial & error method will cost you precious career time. If you still are unsure, I suggest you meet with a career counselor.

How else then do you get that initial break in your career? Sending resumes to companies isn’t going to help either, unless you are sending it to someone who really matters in that organization. Otherwise, you are just adding to their resume database and chances that they’ll retrieve it later are very rare. Unless your resume speaks of something very niche. Having said that, there’s so much more you can do to make your resume stand out.

I’ll take your questions one at a time:

1. My resume is pretty empty. I have mentioned my academic details and a few other activities that I was a part of in school and college. Is there anything else I can add to make it look better?

Good question. Yes, there are many other things you can add to your resume. But it will need some efforts to get there. How about a white paper in your area of work? That will definitely boost you chances of getting noticed. Write about the books from prominent authors which you had referred to during your course (if any). Also, mention some of the prominent websites that you frequently visited to gather information. This will hopefully help the recruiter and hiring manager understand your efforts spent to learn more. Can you provide two excellent references from the industry? If yes, then put them on the resume. Off course you need to let them know before you do that. You must have done some projects in your final semester. Right? Then you should explain your role in detail! Yes, the team achieved it together, but what was your contribution in getting it done?

2. How important is it to mention my objective? I ask this reading the previous post.

Not many pay attention to the objective. But since you asked me, I do read it while reviewing resumes. It tells me a lot about the candidates and their real intentions. Don’t try and write something generic like, “I’m seeking a position to utilize my abilities and skills in a challenging and creative environment that offers professional growth and career opportunities”. That’s nice to read & looks straight out of a Google search. But it’s not telling me where you want to utilize your skills! Make your objective the focal point of your resume. Agreed it will narrow down your chances of making it in other fields. That’s a call you take, unless you are again ready for the trial & error method for finding the right job.

3. How much weight are my scores given? I do not exactly have an impressive marks card.

If your plans are to find work in an area that complements your education, then unfortunately, your scores matter. At least at the entry level. Otherwise, it’s ok. Else, your degree will be an add-on feature for a job that doesn’t really require it. Such as, if you hold a degree in chemical engineering and land yourself in HR, your degree will not add much value to the HR role. Except for your engineering based analytical skills, this again can only be demonstrated. Get yourself to take up tests (more like a certification in your area of interest) that matters and put that on your resume.

A few other things you may want to keep in mind:

Cover Letter! Write up an excellent cover letter. Don’t make it bland and boring to read. It should talk about your personality in words. It should tell the hiring manager/recruiter: your strengths, reasons for opting for the current role, your understanding of that particular industry, answer the question - why do you want to work for them?, the efforts that you are ready to put into the role.

Network! Yes, there are social networking sites like Orkut, MySpace and even Facebook. But I suggest you get onto LinkedIn which is a professional networking site. Get to know recruiters, people in your area of interest, you need to go out there and make some noise.

Take up contract based roles! Agreed, it’s not on your mind right now. But it’s worth a shot. Take up that contract job (yes! it will pay less) but it'll help you garner valuable work experience. You could put that on your resume.

As obvious as it seems, it won’t be easy. But it’ll stay that way unless you take that extra step and put in more efforts in the right direction. Beware of complacency!

Good luck with your job search! I’m sure you will get a really good role soon.

PS: Make sure your resume is not more than two pages. It has to pass through the 30 second scan!