Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Another week of 'Caring & Learning'

Well, my mother had to undergo another surgery and I was back at the hospital to spend another week (in less than 3 months!), to look after her. She’s fine now & back home - needs loads to rest. As usual the HR in me couldn’t help but learn some vital lessons during my stay at the hospital. Now you may argue, what’s with this person and treating hospitals like some ‘Learning & Development Center’? I can’t help but learn from real life. I had already written about my earlier experience here.

We all make errors and hopefully correct them in due course. At the hospital, it is very different. An error can prove fatal. Imagine if a nurse didn’t follow instructions well and ended up giving a set of antibiotics at Ward #301 instead of Ward #302!! This could end up as a very costly mistake. Right? So really it’s just an ideal setting to learn - a place that doesn't have room for errors.


This time around I picked up lessons on: Trust, Patience & Team Work.

Meanwhile, I got to read a couple of books there which were on my ‘To-Be-Read’ list for a very long time. The books were worth every second spent reading it.


- John Grogan Marley & Me


- Robin Sharma’s The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari